Sunday, March 14, 2010

Curiouser and Curiouser..



Happy Saint Patricks Day!

As some of you may know, I can be a furious reader. I once read a three hundred paged book in a day and a half, and no, it wasn't a Harry Potter or a Twilight book. Instead I prefer to read books like The Far Pavilions, World's End, and a mish-mash of books that take place in Asia, and other far-away places. Not only do I enjoy classic Novels, I also have a love for classic fairytales such as Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast and the like. These stories are rich in descriptions, wonder and have a quality that allows one to easily give them a new spin. Although most people are familiar with the Disney versions, I know I am, I have also read these in their original forms. I believe that making stories into movies is a wonderful way to preserve them for generations to come, but in the tricky process of transferring written word onto a flickering screen, much of the story's original integrity can become lost. Take for instance, Peter Pan. In the Disney version the ever-young boy loses his memories of England life simply by staying in Neverland, and other than that he has a terrific memory. In the original book, by J. M. Barry, he constantly forgets who Wendy and the others are. On their way from England, he often flies ahead, then turns around and in that split second, forgets entirely about the other children and who they are. In Beauty and the Beast, The beast is the sympathetic character, and Beauty is a vain girl who can't see past his monstrous facade to the handsome prince trapped within. All this said, I have a real love of reading rich literature, and so the idea of becoming an Illustrator has always appealed to me. Naturally I tend to paint these fables, and one of my favorites is Alice in Wonderland. My latest version is pictured below, and will soon be on my Etsy site as prints.



The March Hair is in the

foreground, to his left is the Caterpillar and farther

back the Hatter takes a pause in between sips of tea.




Can you see the Cheshire Cat?


In my version, I had the March Hair wear a mask. I think it adds charm.




The Hatter





The Caterpillar, and his, uhm, smoke.



The checkered floor is a challenge to paint, but well worth the effect.




The Cheshire Cat hidden among the smoke.



The painting is only half way done, but its getting there slowly.


On Monday I took a walk with my Grandpa and my Sister, along the river. It was gorgeous out! 60 degrees, sunshine and the promise of spring in the air. My sister was lucky enough to find a dollar nestled in a pile of rocks near the path, maybe its leprechaun luck from Saint Patty's Day?



Don't forget to wear green!


~Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Any particular author to suggest for the original fairy tales?

    PS...great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the older versions of these stories in The Abuthnot Anthology of Children's Literature. I believe these are the oldest Known versions of these stories, but I cant say for sure. Also, these were all folk tales passed on by word of mouth for cenrturies. The oldest version of The Sleepying Beauty was printed in french and the year was 1697. The english version was translated by Andrew Lang, in The Blue Fairy Book, 1886. If you want I can lend you this huge book of ancient fairytales this summer. it would probably be easier than looking for the original versions on the internet.
    Boy, that was a mouth full :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be amazing! =D I would love to borrow that book! it'll take up my whole summer lol
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete