Saturday, April 3, 2010

Beach, Portland, Easter, Oh So Busy!!



Hello All!

I just got back from my Spring Break in Portland, Oregon and Rockaway Beach.
Although the weather was full of hail, rain, mist and a host of other water-based weather Portland makes up for itself in spring blooms, shopping and culture. Yes culture, boutiques, grand gardens, dozens of art galleries and local eateries that do one thing, but perfectly.
To be quiet honest, a spoon of yogurt has more culture than my town.
(and I mean that in the nicest possible way of course!)

My first day started with a breakfast in a small cozy Cafe with an old friend, (This is her blog http://essenceofmollie.blogspot.com/) and I had some Bob's Read Mill Oatmeal, a local blend and specialty. The rest of the day was spent shopping with Jojo, Grandma Sally, and my Mother. We hit the Nordstrom Rack, Forever 21, tons of boutiques, and my favorite, LoveCulture. Along the way my sister and I took note of the decor in our favorite stores so we can repeat them in our room. Josie and I have high hopes to say the least.












Later on, my immediate family and I ate dinner at a Portland based (family friendly) restaurant called McMenamins' Pub. McMenamins' is the very essence of Portland itself! A little unusual, homegrown, local, and darn good at what they do. Take for instance every year they have a UFO rooftop party at one of their locations. My favorite McMenamins' is the Edgefeild Estate, complete with restaurant, movie screens, a gorgeously muraled hotel and strolling gardens. Another thing great about this place is that its family friendly. I remember visiting the Edgefeild place when I was little, eating a burger while watching a movie on the big screen with my sister and parents. I believe its that warm welcoming feeling that makes McMenamins' so great, you don't have to ditch the kids in order to enjoy some authentic food and drink.


Another aspect I love about McMenamins' is their advertising is so gosh darn beautiful! They take the art of coaster/poster deign to another level. Here are some photos I snapped of their neon sign, a poster, a coaster and a man testing a brew.



























Once we finished our hearty burgers, and some house brew (for my parents only, I had a tall glass of milk, so don't go getting any ideas!) we headed off to one of the most sought after businesses in the Great North West, Trader Joe's.

Again, this is a local, low cost, high quality, artsy and semi-unusual Portland business. Although Trader Joe's is only a market, they take pride in providing the naturalest, freshest merchandise for their customers. If you've ever been to a farmers market, Trader Joe's is much like; hand painted signs, murals of the surrounding country side, and games for little ones please the eye with bright colors, and silly characters. My family loaded up about 150 dollars of grocerys for the cabin and we took off for Rockaway Beach.



(Here are a few of my favorite hand painted Trader Joe signs, I wish I could show you more!)












My sister and I couldn't find the "Hidden Monkey", and NO, we aren't to old for such games.






























Aside from this segment on my trip to Portland, I also want to mention my adventure in dyeing Easter Eggs, a rather dangerous sport in my family.














Using a clear wax crayon, my sister (Jojo/Josie) and I sent each other messages on the eggs, some of them were nicer than others. The blue one reads "Josie", light green says "Sarah smells" (all in good fun of course), the brown says "Sarah", the green-grey one reads "I love my tomato" (Tomato is a nick-name of mine) and lastly, the purple one says "Josie is a Dill Weed".
















I hope you all had a happy Easter, and don't forget come back for more segments of Rockaway Beach and Portland OR.


~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment