Monday, October 18, 2010

Paintings, Old and New

Over the weekend my family and I went to Portland OR to visit my cousins and aunt who are visiting from Germany. It was such great fun to get to know my little cousins, one of who is nearly fluent in English. We talked ll day about Nutella, Europa Park and how excited he is about carving an American pumpkin for Halloween. Seeing my Aunt was so much fun! She talked about the many differences between America and Germany. Like, in Germany children have to be at school by 6 a.m.! Or how a Starbucks costs the equivalent of 8 American dollars! Not that this is "wrong" or anything. Its just different.
While I was in Portland I found this lovely Wisteria vine, isn't it gorgeous?

I'm going to use these for reference in a new painting idea. Its going to have a watercolor feel, with pen and ink mixed in. I'm aiming for a woodland view full of hundreds of greens, browns and layered ferns leading to a white clean cabin.

My sister and I had a small photo shoot beneath the twisted branches. She took this picture and the rest in this post. I love how she got far up into the vines, my talented sister!

I'm also using this complicated root system in my upcoming forest painting.

Oh, sweet sweet Ikea, why won't you come to my city?
We also bought this rug in Portland.
I love the nature pattern.
Tribal Painting Update
Here is how she's coming along.
The basic color blocking on the face.



Added a bit more face detail, though it still needs work.

I think her face looks a bit to pinched, she needs to be a bit more relaxed.
Still working on it.
I also added some colors to her clothes.


With all this cold weather, I've been painting non-stop, with a cup of coca in one hand and a brush in the other. What do you all do on these cool fall days?

Stay Artsy,
~Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment