Monday, April 25, 2011

My First Lesson Plan!!

I've got some big-ish news!

Next Saturday I'll start giving private art lessons to a kindergarten student of mine.

I knew it would only be a matter of time before I started to give private lessons, but I didn't think it would be as easy to think of a lesson plan. After browsing the Internet a bit, I sat on my couch and started thinking what subject would be fun, bright and relatively easy for a younger kid to draw. Fish! Kids love Spongebob and Nemo, so this would be perfect! First we'll start with a watercolor wash of blue waves, and a sandy floor. Next I'll have the student draw sea creatures (jellyfish, fish, coral, seaweed, sharks..whales etc.) on a separate paper, while the watercolor is drying. Next we'll color in the creatures, and then we'll glue them onto our other paper. Before we start this we'll look through some ocean books together and talk about different sea life.


I was so excited tonight that I did the example below!




I found through my work as an art teacher, you shouldn't make your examples perfect!

Add wiggly lines, and odd sized mouths/eyes. If a kid seas your perfect, grown up level art they'll feel bad or think hey cant make it "like yours". remember, when teaching kids, you've got to show them nothing is perfect, that they should try their best and no matter what, have fun!

Stay Artsy,

~Sarah Bosserman



No comments:

Post a Comment