Sunday, March 4, 2012

Steampunk Concept Art


All week I've been working on a project
        for a friend. I'm creating concept art for a graphic novel, and It's the most challenging work I've ever done. The technicalities of the human figure and how to meld it into a fantasy character is the least of my problems. The hardest and best part of concept art is the actual act of it. To imagine an intriguing picture in my mind is easy, but then to translate it onto paper is difficult. Right now imagine a giraffe. Picture it's long elegant neck, gangly legs and gentle eyes. You can see it perfectly right? Now draw it. The translation from mind to paper, that's where someone becomes an artist. To hold that imagine in your mind and struggle continually to put it to paper. With practice it gets easier, soon the giraffe is somewhat recognizable, and you can use photographs to assist you. Soon you won't even have to think about it, and translation becomes second nature. I'm still struggling with it, but with every drawing, the characters from the novel come out in better detail matching the original vision in my mind. Here is the latest attempt before detailing.



Soon I'll show more of my concept work, and the rest of this drawing! Before I do I want to check in with my friend to make sure it's okay. After all, as with all concept art, this really is only half my idea.

Stay Arsty & DFTBA

Sarah Bosserman




No comments:

Post a Comment