Monday, April 16, 2012

The Mysterious Continent

So today I started a book called Kisses From Kate by Kate Davis. It's about Africa and faith. This girl named Kate moved to Uganda to help orphans and children get the care they need to survive. Now she is 21, has 14 adopted children, teaches, and helps the local children get sponsors from America to send them to school. Honestly this is not the kind of book I normally read. I'm much more at home with a Hitch Hikers guide, or Hemingway, or.. anything else. I have this nasty little cynical part of my brain that screams "Helping orphans? Blah, sounds like a Charles Dickens rip off."  ....Sad I know, but I'm trying to squash that annoying part of me. That's why I picked this book up, and I'm so grateful that I did. This girl listened to what God had planned for her, no matter how improbable or difficult it might have seemed. That's faith, and I truly believe anyone could benefit from reading this book, whether it's for spiritual purposes, humanitarian, or just to expand your world view.  
This book will change the way you think.

I young girl. Her head is covered in flowers

Also, after reading about all the Uganda children and their smiling little faces.. my next painting developed popped into my mind! This will be the first time I have ever painted someone with dark skin, so I'll have to work really hard to get it right. It's a challenge I welcome!

Stay Artsy & DFTBA

Sarah Bosserman

No comments:

Post a Comment