Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Dear Dog



Before I can get into my new painting I first must show you my dear old dog.

Rascal, he was my first dog and probably my last. And as much as I used to go on about what a colossal inconvenience he was, I miss him. He really was the perfect dog for a cat lover like me. He never barked, was a cuddle bug, was gentle and timid with children, he was a rescue and my family loved him.

 When we moved to Texas last summer we could no longer keep him in out new apartment, so to Colorado my silly mutt went to live with cousins. Don't get me wrong, they are the perfect family for him, with three kind hearted and energetic children to wear him out!

I just miss that silly dog. He was a beautiful little guy, akin to a fox or deer in his light build with golden fur. It's from his beautiful fox attitude that inspired my latest painting/drawing.
I wanted to show the honest adoration and loyalty only a dog could have for it's family.
Round loving eyes, silly spindly legs, a nearly fox like attitude, and flowers tangled around it's ears, suggesting a playful spirit. It wasn't until after sketching the concept, and re sketching the final canvas that I realized how much of my dear Rascal I had gleaned.

The first concept sketches:


I picked this one to inspire the final design:


The final sketch transferred onto the canvas. I changed the tail position to fit it better:



Now I want to turn it over to you in the comments. Have you ever owned a pet that you really loved and still think of after it's gone? 

Stay Artsy & DFTBA

Sarah Bosserman



No comments:

Post a Comment